ECOOP is pleased to offer a number of opportunities for student volunteers, who are vital to the efficient operation and continued success of the conference each year. The student volunteer program is a chance for students from around the world to participate in the conference whilst assisting us in preparing and running the event. We strongly encourage students to become involved in the ECOOP student volunteer program.
Job assignments include assisting with technical sessions, workshops, tutorials and panels, checking badges at doors, operating the information desk, helping with traffic flow, and general assistance to keep the ECOOP running smoothly.
In return for a few hours of their time, student volunteers are granted:
- Free registration to the conference
- Free access to ECOOP plenary sessions, tutorials, workshops, and demos (duties, space, and specific requirements permitting)
Student volunteers should be in Genova two days before the conference, that is from Saturday, July 4th, and help with preparations and with the conference take-down on July 10th.
The selection of student volunteers and plan assignment is NOT done on a first come, first served basis. The most important thing is to have an international group of student volunteers. We try to make a balanced decision. Also, we favor students with strong communication skills: being fluent in English is a must.
- Application deadline: April 10, 2009
- Notification of acceptance: May 4, 2009
Applicants must be Master students or full-time Ph.D. students. They should send an e-mail to Marco Servetto (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject "ECOOP SV", containing the following information:
- First name
- Last name
- Number of years in a Master or Ph.D. program
- Group / Department / University
- Complete contact information (surface mail)
- If you have a driver's license (not necessary)
- Languages spoken (at least) fairly well (fairly well means you could survive well in a country speaking this language only; students with TOEFL/TOEIC/DELF-DALF/TCF/TEF/TFI certificates should include their scores).
- A short paragraph motivating your application (including possible past experience as a student volunteer) and clarifying your need for financial support.
- Supervisor's(s') name(s) and e-mail address(es). Supervisors may be contacted to confirm applicants' suitability.
We will be doing our best to help students find good and cheap accommodation. Sadly, covering the costs of accommodation and travel expenses is not in our budget. In case some funds should be available, precedence will be given to well-motivated requests.